Thursday, June 28, 2007

Relationships

I attended a summer solstice party with the "Band of Angels" at a lavish estate in the Los Altos Hills last night. I flew up to SF just for the party and knew I was coming back early so I threw my wing in the back of the SUV so I could fly today.

When I arrived at Torrey the wind was weak and south. I had a BLT before launching and considered not flying at all. I just didn't want to do a sled ride. But, as I was eating, I noticed there was one pesky little blue wing that just kept getting big air as everyone else was bombing out. That was my goal, to get up there with him, or as it turned out her.

I geared up and launched. It was even lighter and more south away from the LZ than at it. I looked down at the wind socks and couldn't believe the direction. I didn't go very far but I stayed up for about 45 minutes. I did a lot of figure-8s wherever I found lift. After a while it was starting to feel like a lot of work. My arms were getting sore for some reason. I came in and landed. This is where the fun began.

Danielle was gearing up and noticed me. She put down what she was doing and gave me a big hug. A few paragliders were lounging around the pavilion talking shit about the nudie beach below. I knew all the faces but few of the names. It was a good time, just a relaxing conversation that lasted as long as my flight.

As I was packing my wing the blue wing pilot came over to talk with me. She was a visitor from Russia. She asked why no one was flying. I said, "We're all spoiled." Usually conditions here are absolutely perfect. When the wind's off just a little bit we come down. No one wants to end up on the beach." She asked what dangers were there. I had to laugh. "No, we're really spoiled. The beach is gorgeous, we just don't want to walk up the hill." How long does it take? "20 minutes at the most. Danielle can do it in 2 songs on her iPod."

I encouraged her to launch and enjoy herself. I simply knew I would be back on another perfect day. Not merely excellent... perfect.

No comments: